Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sultry Chennai Summer

Always heard of the sufferings people have with sultry Chennai summer since my childhood. With the tendency human beings possess to lead a cool life in summer, I always stayed away from Chennai and used to feel happy for not coming this place after hearing my friend’s “Happy” time in Chennai Summer … May be their curse or HE wants me to learn from the “Hot and Sultry” sufferings, I was transferred to Chennai on 3rd of April, 2009. Things happened so fast that I started to Chennai on April 5th, 2009 (Sunday) and reached Chennai city Railway Station by 9 P.M.

For some reasons not known, most of the railway porters were busy with their duties, so I had to become a porter for my baggage to come out of station. I was literally sopping in sweat by the time I was out of station and I think that was the initial phases of my HOT life in this city. Two things which my friends warned me about this place and even I am aware of through some books are (i) Auto-rickshaws and local taxis do not use the meter and (ii) Language problem. Having known this, I was looking to book a prepaid taxi and to my surprise I could not find this facility in City Railway Station of one of India’s four metropolitan cities. Managed to get a local taxi (grand old Ambassador car) to the house of my childhood friend after 20 minutes of continuous bargaining with the driver when both settled for 200/- to Kodambakkam, one of the places which ends with *** bakkam.

My “hot” life became hotter day by day and now it’s “hottest” in May. I moved near to office from Kodambakkam with the intention to get up @ 6 am and be in office by 7 am to overcome this heat. Though not always, at times even I belong to one of the members of “Lazy” set and get up late. Office is just a 20 min walk from my room, but when I reach there I look as if I’ve not taken a bath more than 2 days, that’s the kind of feeling one gets. Having washed my face so many times in a day, I feel like am removing a layer of skin coz of this stickiness and humidity present in the humid air. My woe continued and I am struggling with this life here which is literally like a furnace.

Only hope keeping me little happy is that I am supposed to travel back to Bangalore by 16th May, 2009 and continue working from there … This is the only oasis seen in this desert but am not too excited as things never go in my way usually. So, until and unless my return to Bangalore is confirmed by the manager who’s having a relaxed and cool life there am busy here in wiping out the sweat rolling down from my forehead and cheeks ….

No comments: